This tour takes you to one of the most sacred Buddhist religious sites in the world: The Golden Rock Pagoda. The Pagoda is located on top of Mt. Kyaiktiyo at 3615 feet above sea level. It was built more than 2500 years ago. Legend has it that the Pagoda was built on a Hair Relic that was given to a hermit by Buddha Himself.
It is widely believed that the power of the Hair Relic, which is enshrined in the Pagoda, holds the Golden Rock in the precarious position for many centuries despite several earthquakes.
The site is recognized as one of the wonders of South East Asia by recent publications from Tourism Authorities in ASEAN Countries.
Departure City: Yangon
Visit Cities: Yangon – Kyaikhtiyo – Bago
Duration: 2 Days 1 Nights
Departure: Daily, upon your request
Extendable with optional tours from Yangon
PRIVATE TOUR COST:Prices are quoted in US dollars per person double occupancy.
|Group size||2 persons||4 persons||6 persons||Single Supp'|
- Hop in the back of an open-air truck for a winding, steep drive to Golden Rock’s mountain top location.
- Hike up to the legend Golden Rock on the top of Kyaikhtiyo Pagoda.
- Visit the Ancient Royal Capital of Bago and the 2nd World War Allied War Cemetery on the way back to Yangon.
Day 1: Yangon – Kyaikhtiyo
After breakfast in the hotel, you are leaving Yangon; enjoy a scenic journey to Kyaiktiyo, 190km to the east. One of Myanmar’s great pilgrimage sites is the Golden Rock, a huge boulder covered by gold leaf and delicately balanced on the edge of a cliff. The pagoda at the Golden Rock is said to hold a hair of the Buddha. Late morning, arrive at Kyaiktiyo base camp and transfer to the transit junction with one of the small open trucks in one-hour ride, followed by up to an hour challenging walk up to the hill top.
Reaching Kyaiktiyo Pagoda, you can take the most memorable photos of the trip, wander around and absorb the enchanting sunset atmosphere, before walking to your hotel.
Accommodations: Hotel in Kyaikhtiyo
Day 2: Kyaikhtiyo – Bago – Yangon
After breakfast, return to the base-camp by open truck and head back to Yangon. Along the way, you have the visit at Bago, an ancient capital dating back to the 6th century. Sightseeing in Bago includes the beautiful 55m long reclining Buddha called Shwethalyaung; the Mon style Shwemawdaw Pagoda (Its spire stands 114m high and is taller even than the Shwedagon Pagoda); the old Palace of Kambozathadi and the huge four sitting Buddhas.
End of the day, transfer back to Yangon by late afternoon.
- Accommodation with daily breakfast at selected hotels
- Services of a private driver and air-conditioned vehicles except Kyaikhtiyo (transferred by open non-air-conditioned vehicles)
- Service of English speaking guide
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary
- All entrance fees, performances, boat trips & excursions.
- International flights
- Meals other than those mentioned in the itinerary
- Early check-in and late check-out at hotels.
- Personal expenses (such as laundry, telephone, drinks, etc.)
- Tips for guides and drivers
- Personal travel insurance
- Myanmar Visa fees (contact us for further information).